The inspection takes as criteria the requirements defined in the contract and in the documentation attached thereto, as well as the applicable mandatory requirements and, in the absence of fully delineated technical references, the rule of art.
The inspection of the execution of the works therefore constitutes a guarantee of the overall quality of the work itself, also in terms of durability, maintainability and useful life, also for the purposes of its insurability with a ten-year posthumous indemnity policy to cover damage and/or serious defects.
The technical inspection is particularly requested by insurance companies, as an essential prerequisite for the issue of the ten-year policy, which is necessary for the purchase and sale of new residential buildings, pursuant to Legislative Decree 122/2005, and for the guarantee of correct execution of public works. However, it may also pursue other objectives :
- To support the Customer or other subject in the context of the investigations necessary to define the state of consistency of works whose realisation is interrupted and cannot be tested and which are to be resumed with another executor.
- To support the Customer or other party in the context of the investigations aimed at comparing the initial and final state of a work on which an improvement/adaptation of performance has been carried out.
- To support the Customer or other party in the context of the investigations necessary to settle disputes between the parties involved in the construction of the works/infrastructure.
- Supporting the Customer or other party in the verification of the work in progress and on completion of the works within the contractual deadlines.
The inspection service on the execution of the works, as a guarantee of impartiality, independence, competence and reliability, is carried out by APAVE CERTIFICATION ITALIA under the accreditation of Accredia, a body that is a signatory of the international agreements of mutual recognition MLA (Multi Lateral Agreement).
Types of controls
The types of checks required under UNI 10721 may be:
- Preliminary design check (mandatory phase)
- Stability check
- Casing check
- Waterproofing check
- Check of internal floors and coatings
- Exterior plastering check
- Fire safety check
- Control of thermal insulation and energy performance
- Hygiene, health and environmental control
- Control relating to safety and accessibility to use
- Control related to noise protection
- Control relating to sustainable use of natural resources
The objective of the control is to verify that what has been planned is actually carried out, in relation to an established risk margin, with reference to the regulations and laws in force and the possible consequences that may occur in the event of errors. Therefore, the technical control service is aimed at guaranteeing and ensuring that:
- The materials supplied (identified, qualified, accepted) are suitable for their intended use and comply with both sector regulations and design requirements.
- Each product, component or system is correctly handled, used and stored
- The correct planning and optimal organisation of the construction phases are in place
- The technical standards and rules of art are applied in all construction, laying, assembly, mounting, installation of materials, components and systems, with all their documentary traceability
In order to achieve this objective, Apave Certification in Italy carries out a series of on-site inspections, the minimum number of which is defined by the Technical Regulation n.07 issued by Accredia and depends on the amount of works subject to control.
Amount of work involved
Number of inspections
|Up to € 1.500.000||9|
|From € 1.500.000 to € 3.000.000||12|
|From € 3.000.000 to € 5.000.000
|From € 5.000.000 to € 10.000.000||21|
|From € 10.000.000 to € 20.000.000||26|
|From € 20.000.000 to € 30.000.000||30|
|From € 30.000.000 to € 50.000.000||36|
|From € 50.000.000 to € 75.000.000
|From € 75.000.000 to € 100.000.000||44|
|From € 100.000.000 to € 150.000.000||47|
|From € 150.000.000 to € 200.000.000||51|
|From € 200.000.000 to € 500.000.000||56|
Experience in the field and the results currently available to technicians show that the most critical elements in a generic building are the structural works, waterproofing inside and outside the ground, thermal and acoustic insulation, external plastering, curtain walls and doors and windows.
These elements are the main focus of the inspection activity, although it is also possible to inspect the construction of installations, internal finishes, and all those works defined by the Civil Code as "intended to last over time".
During the inspection activity on the execution of the works, the inspectors of the Apave Certification team in Italy carry out on-site inspections, following the schedule established in the inspection plan shared with the client.
If a check reveals "non-compliance", the contractor is required to remedy it. He is also required to promptly notify the Apave Certification team in Italy when he believes he has successfully resolved the problem and in any case before the "non-conformity" becomes unresolvable, resulting in significant additional costs for demolition and reconstruction work.
The objectives of the project verification service are to prepare and make available to the RUP/contractor all necessary and useful information for the validation of projects.
These objectives can be summarised as follows
- Ensuring the technical, administrative and economic feasibility of the public works, without prolonging the design process by requesting changes and additions after the project has been drawn up and completed.
- Ensure consistency between
- design choices and related technical solutions in the transition between successive project levels
- the technical and technological solutions and choices adopted also in compliance with the indications of the safety and maintenance plans
- compliance with applicable mandatory and consensual regulations
- Eliminate or reduce
- deficiencies and errors in the design which may cause an increase in budgeted costs
- the risk of reservations by the contractor
- delays due to planning errors
The excellence of the services provided by Apave Certification in Italy is guaranteed by the high level of expertise and professionalism of the staff, technical experts and specialist consultants who collaborate with the company on an ongoing basis. This staff constitutes a dynamic and at the same time consolidated network, capable of covering all the specialisations required in the fields of engineering and architecture and in the management of public contracts.
The construction and fine-tuning of the tools and operational practices applicable to the audit service are the result of in-depth analyses of the subject of the service, the contextual conditions, the objectives and expectations of the administrations/clients/end users.
The poor or incorrect definition of the characteristics, including technological characteristics, of the work in the design phase has a direct and negative consequence: the impossibility of fully defining the performance characteristics that make up the work and therefore of calculating them correctly.
Suspensions of work, variations during construction and contractor's reservations are frequently caused by the need to solve problems that could, and therefore should, have been foreseen and solved during the design phase.
Project verification is usually carried out in progress (during the design phases) or in ending (after the project has been fully drafted), and can be extended to the entire control chain.
The verification activity described above allows the public administration/purchaser to be protected also from the risk of financial damage, in relation to circumstances for which the administration cannot materially guarantee the integrity, consistency and quality of the project.
The above-mentioned guarantee is also applicable to all interventions to be carried out under the construction and project financing regime.
Analysis, verification and
monitoring of infrastructure